Wednesday 9 April 2008

GLOOOMY DAY.

Cross that, that's just a metaphorical term I used to describe my feelings right now.
For some of you know do not know, my class consists of 16 people. (It was 14 yesterday but 2 newbies joined in today) Unfortunately, that's not a good news either. I mean, all my life I always had a theory that the more the merrier regardless of whether it's in class, party, outings or whatsover. But I guess that has changed in this case.

I feel like I'm a total social outcast among my classmates in my current class here at UFY, UNSW. Out of 16, there's only 3 Malaysians and the rest are from China. Even the 2 other Malaysians can understand/speak Mandarin fluently [they should be from Chinese school]. I'm not saying that I'm a banana. I just can't catch up with their conversations with their fast paced accent. Sometimes, when they laugh about things I don't understand, I just smile pretending that I actually know what they're saying. I might even request to change class if not because I'm trying to be optimistic about this matter and that I could actually improve on my Mandarin and Canto by the end of the semester. So ironic yeah, the fact the people actually go to Australia to improve on their English skills. Not Mandarin.
No wonder they have the notice everywhere "SPEAK ENGLISH ONLY ON CAMPUS"

Before the course commenced, I had no idea this would take place. Cos it supposed to be like students who took April intake [standard program] should have an 'higher than average' English proficiency level or some sort. Guess not =X
And it's so challenging to perform group tasks cos I literally had to translate for my group mates each and every word during English tutorial; from English to Mandarin. Mind you this is only the first week. 35 weeks to go!

Damn, it feels like China here; and I'm not saying like it's a bad thing.

All my English speaking friends [Malaysians and Singaporeans] are in Science stream!
I wasn't expecting any presents from you,
I just wanted you to wish me Happy Birthday,
As I thought you were my close friend,
Guess not anymore.

1 comment:

Nic said...

yikes chris. reading your post kinda makes me feel bad for you >.<
yeah it would feel awkward if you couldn't really communicate well with your new peers whom u have to deal with for 35 MORE WEEKS! Try to strenghten the rapport with your english speaking friends outside college.
Hm if you feel out of place in ur current class, i suggest you change ur class NOW.